Warren Street/NJIT station is one of four underground stations on the Newark City Subway Line of the Newark Light Rail. It is the furthest station from Downtown Newark that is underground. The station is owned and service is operated by New Jersey Transit. The station has entrances on both sides of Lock Street, just north of Warren Street in University Heights. It is decorated with beige tiles and colored tiles for borders, mosaics and street indicator signs. This station is not wheelchair accessible. The nearest accessible stations are Washington Street and Orange Street.
In 1910, the Public Service Railway planned to build two subway lines meeting at Broad Street (now Military Park). The east-west subway line (#7), which was eventually built in the old Morris Canal bed with Raymond Boulevard built over it. Construction on the line began in 1929 and service starting on the line on May 26, 1935 by the Public Service Corporation of New Jersey. Additionally, the station contained a connection to the Main Street line until March 30, 1952 when the route was converted into bus route #21.
On March 7, 2011, the station's name was officially changed from Warren Street to Warren Street/NJIT with the help of New Jersey Institute of Technology and its students who initiated (and paid for) the name-change/makeover project.
Transfers are available to the following lines westbound to Orange and beyond only: 71, 73, and 79
Owlapps.net - 2012-2062 - Les chouettes applications du hibou