Washington Street station is an underground station on the Newark City Subway Line of the Newark Light Rail. The station is owned and service is operated by New Jersey Transit. The station is located at the intersection of Raymond Boulevard and Washington Street with a second entrance at University Avenue, both in Downtown Newark. The station serves the western edge of downtown and the University Heights neighborhood. The station was opened in 1935. The station is decorated with beige tiles and colored tiles for borders, mosaics and street indicator signs. Some mosaic street indicators still show the exit for "Plane Street" which is the previous name for University Avenue. This station is wheelchair accessible.
In 1910, the Public Service Corporation planned to build two subway lines meeting at Broad Street (now Military Park). The east-west subway line (#7), which was eventually built in the old Morris Canal bed with Raymond Boulevard built over it. Construction on the line began in 1929 and service starting on the line on May 26, 1935.
Owlapps.net - 2012-2062 - Les chouettes applications du hibou