St George & St Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church (Coptic: Ϯⲉⲕ'ⲕⲗⲏⲥⲓⲁ ⳿ⲛⲣⲉⲙ⳿ⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ ⳿ⲛⲟⲣⲑⲟⲇⲟⲝⲟⲥ ⲫⲏⲉⲑⲟⲩⲁⲃ Ⲅⲉ⳿ⲱⲣⲅⲓⲟⲥ ⲛⲉⲙ ⲫⲏⲉⲑⲟⲩⲁⲃ Ϣⲉⲛⲟⲩϯ // transliteration: ti.eklyseya en.remenkimi en.orthodoxos ente fi.ethowab Gewargios nem fi.ethowab shenouty) is the second Coptic Orthodox church that was established in Jersey City, New Jersey. It is one of over 200 Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States.
Coptic Orthodox Christians, who adhere to an ancient Christian faith rooted in Egypt in the first century, have established a stronghold throughout New Jersey over the last several decades. The first Coptic Orthodox Church in the United States was St. Mark’s in Jersey City, which was founded in 1970 by Egyptian immigrants, and the congregations have since grown in allowing 15 other parishes in New Jersey alone, including St. Mark's Church in the same region of Jersey City.
The large influx of Copts in New Jersey can be attributed to their persecution in Egypt, in addition to those who emigrate seeking education and financial opportunities. Currently, there are more than 30,000 Copts in Jersey City specifically. St. George & St. Shenouda Church was first founded in 1973, although the actual date of incorporation was January 1974.
The year 1977 marked the first pastoral visit by Pope Shenouda III to the US and Canada, including both of Jersey City's two oldest churches (the only ones at the time). There are currently about 1500 Coptic families served by St. George & St. Shenouda Church alone with several others belonging to different church congregations throughout northern New Jersey in particular.
Owlapps.net - 2012-2062 - Les chouettes applications du hibou