Nogent-sur-Marne (French pronunciation: [nɔʒɑ̃ syʁ maʁn]) is a commune in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 10.6 km (6.6 mi) from the centre of Paris. Nogent-sur-Marne is a sous-préfecture of the Val-de-Marne département, being the seat of the Arrondissement of Nogent-sur-Marne.
Several origins of the name have been proposed:
In the Middle Ages, several castles were built. Le Château de Plaisance, built in the 13th century, which hosted Charles V and Jeanne de Bourbon in 1375. The only vestige which remains is a house of the current private hospital, 30 rue de Plaisance, as well as the bottom of the enclosing wall of the gardens. Le Château de Beauté-sur-Marne, 14th century, is a royal stay. Cardinal de Richelieu destroyed it in 1626.
In the 17th century, whereas the rural population was made up of a majority of vine growers, the middle-class discovered the charms of the country, and settled in Nogent. Jean-Antoine Watteau lived in Mr. Lefevre's house his last moments and died there in 1721.
The construction of the two railway lines: Paris–Mulhouse and Bastille–La Varenne in the 1850s still accelerated the process. The viaduct, built by Auvergnats and Belgians was destroyed once on 15 September 1870. Italians rebuilt it; an Italian community was established there. Coming, for the majority, from the province of Piacenza, they were from the Valley of Nure or from the south of Tyrol.
Isolated since 1854 by the construction of a viaduct for the Paris–Mulhouse line, the commune of Le Perreux sur Marne is born after a fight of more than 10 years in 1887. On 28 February 1887, more than half of the territory of Nogent-sur-Marne was detached and became the commune of Le Perreux-sur-Marne.
In 1929, the commune of Nogent-sur-Marne lost a small part of its territory when the city of Paris annexed the Bois de Vincennes, the eastern fringe of which belonged to Nogent-sur-Marne.
Nogent-sur-Marne is twinned with:
The commune has the following public preschools and primary schools:
The commune has two public junior high schools, Collège Watteau and Collège Branly. Collège Pierre Brossolette is in nearby Le Perreux. The commune has two public academic high schools/sixth-form colleges, Lycée Branly and Lycée Louis Armand, as well as two vocational high schools, La Source and Val de Beauté.
Bibliothèque Cavanna serves as the municipal library.
Owlapps.net - 2012-2062 - Les chouettes applications du hibou