Canadian National 89 is a 2-6-0 "Mogul" type steam locomotive originally built by the Canadian Locomotive Company in February 1910 for the Canadian National Railway. It is now owned and operated by the Strasburg Rail Road outside of Strasburg, Pennsylvania, where it resides today for use on excursion trains.
No. 89 was originally built in February 1910 by the Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, Ontario, for the Grand Trunk Railway as No. 1009. It has a wheel arrangement of 2-6-0. In 1919, it was renumbered to No. 911. In 1923, the Grand Trunk was merged into the Canadian National Railway (CN) with No. 911 being one of the thousands of locomotives working for this new railroad. In 1951, No. 911 was renumbered to No. 89. Most of 89's career on the CN is unknown; it appears that it spent the latter part of its working life in Quebec before being retired in late 1958 and being stored in a deadline of locomotives in Montreal.
In 1961, No. 89 was purchased by New England seafood magnate and steam locomotive collector F. Nelson Blount and moved to North Walpole, New Hampshire, in the United States. No. 89 found a home in the former Boston & Maine North Walpole roundhouse and starting in 1965, would begin operating on the Green Mountain Railroad and would be moved to across the Connecticut River to Bellows Falls, Vermont. No. 89 quickly became Blount's favorite locomotive and he would often be found at the throttle until his death in 1967.
In June 1972, the Green Mountain Railroad sold No. 89 to the Strasburg Rail Road outside of Strasburg, Pennsylvania. This is a linear village along the Great Conestoga Road, stretching about two miles along path later known as the Strasburg Road. The population was 2,809 at the 2010 census. The move from Bellows Falls to Strasburg was overseen by Strasburg employee Linn Moedinger. During a stopover in Penn Central's Buttonwood Yard in Wilkes-Barre, No. 89 was stranded when Hurricane Agnes caused the Susquehanna River to flood much of the area. No. 89 spent several days submerged in the rail yard but emerged with little to no damage.
Upon arrival at Strasburg in July 1972, it wouldn't be until the following year that No. 89 would make its first official run for Strasburg Rail Road on March 17, 1973. When No. 89 first arrived, it originally faced East when hauling excursion trains, it would remain that way until the turntable at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania was installed in late 1973. No. 89 frequently operated in tandem with Pennsylvania Railroad 4-4-0 No. 1223 on Strasburg's half-hour trains until it was taken out of service in the early 1980s for major repairs. During these repairs which lasted the majority of the decade, No. 89 was completely rebuilt from the ground up including major boiler and running gear work. Emerging from its rebuild in November 1988, No. 89 returned to pulling the half-hour trains, being joined by former Norfolk & Western 4-8-0 No. 475 in 1993. In October 2003, No. 89 was modified and repainted to its 1950s Canadian National appearance with the tilted monogram logo. In 2008, No. 89's tender logo was re-lettered to read "Strasburg Rail Road," in keeping with Strasburg's policy of historical authenticity.
Owlapps.net - since 2012 - Les chouettes applications du hibou